Thursday, September 9, 2010

How do you write?

I write with two inexpensive, fairly common fountain pens. One is a Camlin, the other an even more obscure and easily forgettable brand -- in a world of Parkers, Montblancs, Lamys and other collectible heavies.

But it wasn't always so. For most of my initial days as a Copywriter, I used to write with pencils. And I still have fond memories of my daily "getting-down-to-work" ritual. The sharpening of 4-5 pencils (with a blade) in a frenzied abandon that used to leave the area around my desk littered with shards and shrapnel of wood.

Typically, before getting down to writing copy, I would also normally sign my name on the numerous scribble pads littering my desk. And recollect and rewrite quotes like -- "I am a pencil".

Looking back at those days, one reason I can think of -- for persisting in writing with pencils -- is that, when writing with pencils, editing becomes a matter of just erasing out what is errant (for the client or the client-servicing person) and the copywriting gets done without turning the page into a battlefield of scratched out and crossed out words, something unavoidable when writing with pens.

And one consumes less paper, even if it is one-sided paper.

But then, coming back to the reason for writing this post, I write with fountain pens these days and I am high on ink. Which brings me to another ritual that I have been following for most of the last three months.

My pens bleed ink.

No, they don't just leak ink, there is no leak as such, the nib and the feeder are fitted just fine. The pens just bleed ink and I have to clean them up and leave them to dry (without the cap on) before I can get down to doing anything else.

Is it because of the high humidity levels thanks to the profuse rains we have had over the Deccan? Or is it that, for the pen -- bleeding ink is release?

I don't know, but either way, its a good problem to have and smelling ink is a good way to start another day of writing.

Then of course, there are the bonuses. Poetry has come to me thanks to the persistent inkbleeds and the smell of ink. Poetry that demands immediacy and is jotted down by me (in ink) as yet another scrap, yet another note, as the welcome flight of yet another stray bird....

Poetry like this

We dry,
my ink pens and I


Do I write all day with pen and ink? Unfortunately no, I tap out most copy on a laptop. But even for work purposes, sometimes writing in ink (on one-sided paper) helps.

6 comments:

  1. Lovely post; took me back to school days--the last time I used ink pens. I used to be fascinated with them. Found your co-relation of the bleeding ink and a poet's outpouring interesting.

    Discovered your blog a few days back and have since linked it on mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bhaswati, thank you for stopping by and commenting. Thanks also for linking my blog to yours, will add it to "Take A Look See" soon.
    I like writing with ink pens, somehow there's a bit more solemnity / purpose / gravitas to the act of "putting pen to paper" and since most poetry is "lost" if not noted down immediately I guess there is a connection between ink and immediacy too :-)

    Or that's how I am now, high on the smell of ink!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice one Anand.
    Really took me back to school days-the daily inkpen rituals- filling inkpens, bleeding pens,ink stained fingers,rubbing the ink onto the hair..! inkpens had almost diminished in my memory until recently when i was gifted with an inkpen on teachers day.
    It is sitting pretty in my cupboard.I am yet to fill it and use it..!
    i liked the 'Or is it that, for the pen -- bleeding ink is release?'
    Since i dont have a blog of my own,can i link your blog to my mail or something like that where i can get updates on your newer posts..??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Haritha and its nice to know that you have been presented an ink pen. Which brand, if I may ask? I don't write much here these days (though this blog has a vibrant history) but I intend to move up a gear so please feel free to read and comment whenever you have time! And I see you have figured out how to get updates to your mail -- good to see you under "followers" (what a gag of a term, gah!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. well frankly i don't know which brand. something simple and inexpensive.not a brand person at all :-) so very insignificant as long as it serves the purpose..!All the staff were gifted inkpens on teachers day and we professors and associates got away with better ones..!

    ReplyDelete
  6. True Haritha -- especially when it comes to writing; what matters is that one writes, rather than how.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Labels

Stopping By?