Thursday, April 7, 2011

Shiva Temple, Palakolu

Knees grating on the cold granite
feet getting numbed by my weight,
I marshal thoughts into coherence
mumbling more than one early morning prayer.

Why do I get drawn, moth-like
to these crowds, babel and mock devotion that I disdain?
Why do I pronounce shlokas in English
and yet don't pray for visas to lands abroad?)

The digital camera grasped crab-like,
I compose and shoot the temple spire in diffused light
to wonder as hundreds of pigeons get aflutter –
was it because I uttered "Om Namah Shivaya"?

(Why can't we who live lives, time our joys right?
Of what use, blessings of sacred rice that slide off a tonsured pate?
Or an ardent, desirously male devout gaze
that's not a spell-binding hymn that Shakti can hear?)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Labels

Stopping By?