Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The glittering happiness of three Goldfish




I just changed the water in the Goldfish tank. Meaning, I just
poured out all the water (after transferring the fish out into
a small bowl), gave the gravel and the inner surface of the
tank a hand scrub, gave the plastic plant one, set it in again
and filled up the tank.

With common tap water.

And then -- when I put Tonu, Gonu and Donu back into "their"
tank, it is as if I have put them back in a paradise of bliss
and happiness. For one, their glitter has the sparkle of a
beatific smile and for another they are stiller and calmer then
before. You could say that they are floating serenely in the
middle of the tank, enjoying and thrilling in the
purity -- of water.

Even if it is common tap water.



Oh well, am telling you half the story? Yes, the other half is
when they keep making a beeline for the surface, very evidently
distressed if you see how they "blow" bubbles; it almost seems
they are coming up to breathe. This is all of course when
the water has gone all cloudy and bad, almost like a cesspool.

Well, if you keep fish and have a bigger tank than mine, you in
all probability have an aerator and some kind of fancy breathing
apparatus, but even in that case I am sure you will agree with me.
Fish in fresh water glitter their happiness, don't they?

Incidentally, this is not the first time I am keeping (and caring)
for fish at home. My earlier experiences were in Orissa, when
I was 10-12 years old and used to get pond water and half-dead
fish (from the fry and fingerlings left over when nets teeming
with Pokhuri fish are drawn in) and a attempt creating aquariums
from one and two kg Horlicks and Maltova jars. To wonder why
the fish would belly up and die, sometimes just overnight.

It wasn't all that bad either, I also used to "breed" Eels and
Catfish in the ditches all around my place when I was a bit older
and learned; and those fish lived longer too -- before disappearing
in the give-away smell of fried fish from a stealthy neighbour's
kitchen.

Anyway, if my memory serves me right, these three little goldfish
have completed more than 100 days. Or rather the fish bowl has. Oh
yes, one of the first two fish died within 4 days. Then I got another
two and they too died. And then I got another two. I am happy to say
that all seems to be well in fishland, with the last two of them here
for more than 2 months now.



Some more facts about the fish fellows -- the names were given by
the little man; or rather I proposed and he seconded the same.
I may be wrong but Tonu is the original "survivor" and a bit aloof
and the biggest of the three.

And oh yes, like any thing that needs "doing", cleaning the fish
bowl is a chore. Also, a responsibility, because "before you know why,
fish could belly up and die!". And responsibilities are scary and
painful. In my case, the pain happened as I slipped and fell (on my
behind) while changing the water at around 2.00 in the morning.

But still, its worth it all to see the glittering happiness
of Tonu,Gonu and Donu. Especially when they catch the sunlight,
streaming in from the skylight, over the landing where their
bowl is.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Blog Archive

Labels

Stopping By?