Thursday, October 3, 2013

On a different kind of walkabout

At something close to 6 kilos, this is more bazooka (or LMG) than a lens.

But make no mistake about it, a lens it is and a bloody marvelous one at that -- as fine a culmination (and celebration) of physics and optics as is humanly possible.

I am talking of my newly acquired 600 mm f/4, I am talking of this 

So then, how did a poet who was flirting with financial ruin and poverty manage to acquire something as costly as two (or even three) cars?

Mostly because of another loan (like in case of the other 600, the D-600 -- a camera --that I had acquired).

So, in terms of relationships of the financial kind, I now have another EMI to add to my Housing EMI, but yes, it will get paid and it will get paid bloody soon.

Because the Birdman doesn't like owing anyone.

Especially not for a 600mm f/4 beauty.

Now that I have taken that off my chest, a few things about how this is more bazooka (or LMG or Rocket Launcher) than lens. The first day I tried photographing with it, my left bicep gave up on me, swelling up / cramping as if I have arm-wrestled with Hulk Hogan. I got back home within barely a hour, counting the steps back, worried that I will "drop" the deadweight of the monster thing.

The second time was better, the third more so. The morning after, as I write this, my biceps, shoulders and almost all of upper body still feels as if I have just got out of a grueling gym session, but then those are pains any birder can live with.  

Here's looking forward to more such walkabouts with this beautiful marvel of technology that lets me live the gift of my eye.

And as I am already saying again and again, if nothing else, carrying all that weight around will help me lose some. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Labels

Stopping By?