Wednesday, October 21, 2009

For Satish Gujral

The deaf artist
who has never heard a human voice
articulate the language
of his choice
declares with passion
his drunken creed.
I mean no disrespect.
What does one do
whose loss
and liability
loom as large as this?

Deaf artists all,
all of us who martyr the meaning
in the flux
to lonely
and heated visions whoring
after truth.
Mea culpa. Punish me.
It is the task
of love
and imagination
to hear what can't be heard
when everybody speaks.

From "Hymns in Darkness" - Nissim Ezekiel, Collected Poems
Please excuse me for formatting errors, the "Tab" key seems dysfunctional on blogger.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Blog Archive

Labels

Stopping By?