Thursday, December 3, 2009

Cycle song

The 4'o clock sun must have
melted from summer's heat
and rained all over
this cloud canopy
making it a washed-out, silver
diffusion of light.

Off the seat - pedalling furiously,
below me, I see
me and the cycle
on the rain-wet road,
less, afternoon-shadow,
mirror reflection, more.

My road's a banked river
of wet asphalt,
its mosaic rain-soaked;
a watershed, for
just born puddles and streamlets,
all along its banks.

Lucky me, bicycling
in the year's first rains
lucky me, what I spit out
is not sweat
or the dregs
of baggage and bitterness.

From "Moving On", this one is also up at Kritya (thanks Rati for accepting this), do check it out here

2 comments:

  1. Lovely! The description of the rain-splashed, rain -washed road as 'banked river' and all the other water-imagery lingers. And the last stanza's thought catches one unawares and leaves its mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Priti, I personally feel (when looking at this poem objectively) that the last stanza gives the poem gravitas by juxtaposing the thrill of what I observe without from the cycle's seat against the wonder of not finding any ill-will within...

    But then, I guess one can never be totally objective about one's own poetry :-)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Labels

Stopping By?