Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Quiet World

In an effort to get people to look
into each other’s eyes more,
and also to appease the mutes,
the government has decided
to allot each person exactly one hundred
and sixty-seven words, per day.

When the phone rings, I put it to my ear
without saying hello. In the restaurant
I point at chicken noodle soup.
I am adjusting well to the new way.

Late at night, I call my long distance lover,
proudly say I only used fifty-nine today.
I saved the rest for you.


When she doesn’t respond,
I know she’s used up all her words,
so I slowly whisper I love you
thirty-two and a third times.
After that, we just sit on the line
and listen to each other breathe.

By Jeffrey McDaniel, from The Forgiveness Parade. Copyright © 1998 by Jeffrey McDaniel( found on www.poetryfoundation.org)

P.S. - Thanks Giridhar for sharing this one with me. Lovely poem indeed!

5 comments:

  1. very beautiful! Thank you for sharing this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Credit where it is due Priti, Giridhar shared it with me, I just posted it up here :-) He has read far more poetry than me, too late for me to even thinking of catching up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you have read far more poetry than I have:) I don't even contemplate catching up with anyone ... far more important what your reading does to you and what you do with it....I thank Giridhar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agree 100% with you Priti, thanks for your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And Kanav's probably read more than all of us combined....

    Maybe we should form a club called AAB - The Always Already Behind-hand! Or would you prefer the non-standard cry-of-regret AAA - Always already arreared? :-)

    (And, yes, I'm reading the book, Priti)

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Labels

Stopping By?