Monday, April 12, 2010

"Hungry tribals turn to Maoists. Help us rise like Obama"

Twenty-eight-year-old Pushpa Rokare (nee Usundi) is the only journalist from the Gond tribe, one of India's most primitive and backward indigenous peoples. Rokare studied up to Class XII, supporting her education through the small wage she earned in the administrative section of a Hindi newspaper. Later, she started writing stories for the paper on her own initiative. This unlikely chronicler from the Gond tribe told Keshav Pradhan in Jagdalpur, Chhattisgarh about her community's long association with the Maoist-run "people's war". Excerpts:

P.S. -- I was pleasantly surprised to read this article in TOI yesterday, was about to type it out in its entirety and then found it online, so just pasted the link. More power to Pushpa, this country needs more of her ilk and less of the Arundhati Roy kind spouting their intellectual invective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Labels

Stopping By?