Sunday, July 29, 2012

Of Birds and Birdsong





Though I haven't managed to write much about it (largely because of the amount of time that goes into it) the biggest thing that has happened to me in the last 2 years is how I have been totally drawn into the fascinating world of birds and birding.

What started as a "lets see if I am any better at it now with digital than I was with film" lark led to one long lens and then onto another long lens. And yes, I continuously lust for lenses (and tripods and full frame cameras and camo coating and this and that) now that I know what a f/4.0 and ISO 3200 compatible setup will further impact the quality of my bird photographs in a positive way.

But then, I do use what I have, have managed to go on quite a few field trips ( mind -- none of them involved a motorcycle and almost all of them had me walking to the point of being on dead legs) and a lot of expeditions in the open areas all around my place. I consistently keep pushing myself to think like a bird and outwit it by anticipating its next movement, by spotting it when it thinks its perfectly camouflaged, by bringing in all (of the very little I know of field craft) and of course by dressing as dully as a dodo most of the time.

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that while this and that has been happening in my life in its own way, most of my time has been solely devoted to photographing birds and birds have been the source of much merriment, activity, joy and poetry for me.

As such it was a pleasure to review "Of Birds and Birdsong" -- a collection of the writings of eminent naturalist (and pioneering wildlife photographer) M Krishnan edited by Shanthi and Ashish Chandola.The book is a delightful read (and prose of a high quality indeed) and full of insights for the amateur birdwatcher, hobbyist photographer, professional birder or any lay reader interested in nature.

Here's the review 

Love reading about birds, birdsong and nature? Do get it, you won't be disappointed, that's a birder and naturalist's word :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Labels

Stopping By?