Thursday, January 28, 2010

Travel, Tentativeness and other Travails

In the eight odd months since I quit my job (that means, technically for the last eight odd months, I didn't need to apply for leave "to go on a ride"), I have been on probably three rides.

One was to the forests near Narsapur (where incidentally M and I lost our way in lush, monsoon-replenished trees, grasses and nullahs and ended up trekking /stumbling our way for something like 5 hours before we found our Bullets), a invigoratingly good and relaxing time, but for all purposes a "small" ride.

One was to a Dhaba around 35 kms on the Nagpur highway. I was alone, just wanted to eat and drink in the sights, smells and slipstreams of an authentic trucker's Dhaba, (and also belt) so did just that. I remember this so well because I hadn't put on a jacket (this was in end November) and it was really, really cold getting back home at almost midnight. Going by the cold it was as freezing as the stretch from Kargil to Dras (no I don't mean in terms of temperatures) but still.....

One was to a friend's farm on the Shameerpet stretch for the New Year.

Apart from these three (alleged rides), zilch.

Three rides (even if we remove the "alleged" tag) in eight months would be a bit of a shame for any rider / motorcyclist / biker.

And a real big shame for me.

So let me clarify.

I did want to ride down to Jaipur for the Literature Festival. Didn't happen for a variety of reasons, along with the usual waves of (post poetry-writing) tentativeness attacking me.

I missed out on Rider Mania too, (this time near Mumbai of all places), which means I will need to wait another year before I get to see, feel and experience the magic of 500+ Royal Enfields parked (or burning rubber) together.

It didn't help at all that the Lit Fest at Jaipur and the Bullet Fest at Vikramgarh (near Mumbai) clashed, so I couldn't prioritize and choose one over the other till the last minute and ended up going to neither.

It now looks like I will be missing the Kala Ghoda Festival too (folks are traveling from today and someone has to be home and secure it for them to enjoy their travels in peace).

What this means is that in all probability, I will seriously get around to doing some (long overdue in its own way) road-related ramblings :-)

And probably some quick (ride-out-in-the-morning, ride-back-in-the-evening types) trips where hopefully all this tentativeness will fall off me, blow off me, vanish away...

One thing is for sure. I will do some cycling again, since I got the cycle repaired yesterday and rode out on it today morning. The skies were almost like those I talk of in "Unslept", but I wasn't thirsting for it to rain today and I also ventured out on a stretch that is different from that mentioned in the poem.

I was unslept though. :-)

2 comments:

  1. I hope you ride again soon (long distances) and get to participate in literary festivals. All my best wishes ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope too Priti, in fact I know I will, pretty soon :-) As always, thanks for your wishes

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Blog Archive

Labels

Stopping By?