Sunday, January 24, 2010

The Word

The Word tried to get in edgeways
but put on weight.
The Word had shown up on X-Rays
but far too late.
The Word was breath -
then, death.

The Word was out, the Word was getting round
and yet stood still,
without meaning, without even sound,
since Word was will
that had not yet found form.
The Word was storm.

The Word was dropped, lay where it fell,
no one picked it up
but still it learned to spell.
Word flowed into the cup
that runneth over even in a drouth.
Word was open mouth.

Now I am lost for words
that open mouths spill out.
What sense comes afterwards?
Sense coupled with doubt.
If I had the power to say it, I would say it.
Here’s the instrument, says voice.
Now play it.

By George Szirtes from his website

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and welcome! I am someone who is passionate about poetry and motorcycling and I read and write a lot (writing, for me has been a calling, a release and a career). My debut collection of English poems, "Moving On" was published by Coucal Books in December 2009. It can be ordered here My second poetry collection, Ink Dries can be ordered here Leave a comment or do write to me at ahighwayman(at)gmail(dot)com.

Blog Archive

Labels

Stopping By?